[AT] Delay in messages

Easley, Greg EasleyG at health.missouri.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:12:12 PST 2006

It's not just ATIS mail.  MSN and Yahoo Groups mail has been extra slow
for the last couple weeks.
And yes, it is due to increased email volumes and the associated
filtering that's being
done at many large ISP's.  Here's what one Yahoo Groups techie had to
say about it last week:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Should have posted this earlier, but I wanted to let everyone know that
we are aware of the delays in email >delivery that are affecting many
groups right now. The problem is not related to any of the database and
hardware >work we were doing earlier in the year.
>Rather, the primary cause is the "My Wife virus
(http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_138027.htm), which has caused >a huge
spike in the number of emails sent to Yahoo! Groups. This spike has gone
beyond the capacity of our >current systems to handle, which is causing
the delays in email delivery.

>We have already taken two steps to address the issue, which has begun
to reduce the number of delays:
>- We are dropping (i.e. not delivering) all outgoing email that
includes the virus (in other words, we are not >sending infected
messages to groups).
>- We have added additional server capacity
>
>And we are planning to increase that capacity even more. However, until
the virus has fully played itself out or >more ISPs have taken steps to
reduce the amount of email they are sending to us (by dropping messages
that >contain the virus rather than forcing us to do it), there may
continue to be some delays.

>Our apologies for any inconvenience.
>
>- Gordon
>Yahoo! Groups Team