[AJD] electrolysis

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Mon Jan 30 06:59:45 PST 2006

   Hi Mitch;

   I don't use anything other than Arm & Hammer "Washing Soda."  Usually
found by the 20 Mule Team Borax at the Grocery.  Reason being electrolysis
produces hydrogen and I've had two explosions resulting from trapped
hydrogen in an eclosed area such as an engine hopper.  I would much rather
have washing soda on me than lye.  This explosion was caused by a spark on
one of the electrodes.  I now disconnect all power before touching either
electode.  Not something to be fearful of but thought I'd mention it.

   With the wheel you should have no problem.  I have also experimented with
HEAVY grease deposits on a deep well pump jack with very good results.
Usually leave it in for several days 24/7 and don't go above 25-30 amps.
Bigger may be better here but produces more hydrogen.  This is a messy
operation so I try to do it outdoors.  Occastionally I may pull the item out
and hit it with a pressure washer just to see the progress.

  When the electrolyte gets so grungy, I then dump it out anywhere as it's
environmentally safe..little high in iron content tho.

  Here's some pixs;

http://community.webshots.com/album/500489932fMQqCP

Regards
RickinMt.