[Farmall] 130 parts

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Jan 28 08:50:04 PST 2006

My first suggestion is to leave the oil pump the way it is - 20 psi
should be enough for that old tractor to last as long you will care
about it. I have 60 year old Cubs that have been running on less
pressure for years.

Second, it is very likely that the rings are gone in the cylinder with
low compression, but it may also be just a burned exhaust valve (or even
one that is sticking). If it were my tractor, I would pull the head,
drop the oil pan, and take a look. If the piston has been damaged by
broken rings, then the normal repair would be replacing the liner,
rings, and piston as a unit. Replacing any parts in a 130 engine is
pretty much standard stuff that you used to do with old overhead valve
cars, except for the use of removable cylinder liners.  If you seeing 20
pounds on the oil pressure gauge, and don't hear any bearing rattle or
"pinging", chances are that you don't need bearings. The cost of having
the head gone over at a local machine shop, should you need new valve
seats or don't feel like honing the valves yourself, is not usually all
that much.

Replacement parts can be obtained at a much lower price than Case IH
from Valu-Bilt <www.valu-bult.com> or any number of other on-line
suppliers of after-market replacement parts. If you have a NAPA
affiliated auto parts store in your area, they can get all of the engine
parts you might need (gasket kits, bearings, pistons, rings, liners,
filters, ignition parts, etc.) on overnight order from the warehouse.
The counterman may need a little persuading and help, but they have the
reference material and their prices will be in line with Valu-Bilt and
usually top quality. I rarely buy anything from Case IH except as a last
resort.

If you have been working on old cars, the only tool you might not have
is a cylinder liner puller, which you can make if you have access to a
lathe or buy from E&K Ag Products <ekag at webound.com> 417-679-3530. You
might be able to locate someone in the Denver area who has one you can
borrow. An image of the tool in use can be seen at
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_706_tractor/ns-2.html>

All the other tools are the usual stuff for working on engines - torque
wrench, cylinder hone, ring compressor, ring expander, gauges, scrapers,
valve "grinder", and that kind of thing. The service manual for the
tractor can be obtained from Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com> as well
as the operator and parts manuals. You might want to consider at least a
year's subscription to Red Power magazine <www.redpowermagazine.com>, if
only for the ads from various suppliers of parts and accessories.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." -Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790); US politician and scientist.