[AT] OT: Flashback - Early Farmers Building County Roads

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Jan 27 15:21:09 PST 2006

The one I have available at the church is home made, John.  It's less
than five feet wide so I can handle it with the L&G tractors that I have
and that the church owns (Power Kings).  But it started life as a 6-inch
diameter chunk of round bar stock that somebody welded 1/2" rebar to.
The spikes are about 4 inches long.  The owner of it uses it to aerate
his lawn.  I use it to level the driveway.  The spikes break up the
compaction rock so that it "flows" into the depressions as it rolls.
There's even a length of railroad rail to throw on top of the frame just
in case it "needs more weight."  It's not set up for 3-point operation,
but it's too heavy for a L&G tractor anyway -- the front wheels would
lift long before the roller would.

It's not a fast process because it doesn't move lots of material in any
single pass, but if you just keep going back and forth over the whole
length of the drive, before long all the potholes are gone.

Larry