[AT] Onan Charging system help needed

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Jan 27 05:32:52 PST 2006

Larry & others.

I have been working on small engines for fire pumps for the last month.  I
have 3 ONAN, the old CCKB series that have the internal flywheel type
alternator.   They use a regulator (3 wires) and a rectifier (2 wires)
mounted outside.  I am missing the regulator on one and both on the other 2.
Onan later used a 20 amp regulator on the P series that has 3 connectors.
My question is has anyone replaced the earlier models with the later model
regulator.  Since Cummins bought out ONAN, parts for ONAN are ridiculously
expensive.  The rectifier and regulator boxes are $83 each!!!!!!!  The one I
want to replace it with would only cost me $20.  I also thought of using an
old external regulator from a 60's model Chevy.  I am just stumped on this
one, and I know I should not be...   Can anyone give me a little help???

I found a discussion of ONAN charging systems Here:
www.simpletractors.com/service/onan_electrics.htm

Cecil in OKla