[AJD] Safety Alert - check your chains

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Jan 27 02:30:07 PST 2006

Excellent suggestion, Duane.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago. Once I took the tension off of
the chain the pin dropped out. Scared me big time. I replaced a bunch of
cotter pins at the time.

It made such an impression on me that before I use any chain now these pins
and cotter keys get checked religiously.  For some reason they seem to get
abused more than one would expect. I've even thought about using safety wire
in them instead of cotter keys. They seem to get damaged a lot. I'm so
paranoid about it now I try to position the hook so the pin has to work its
way up to come out whenever possible. Or on the stake pockets position the
hook so the pin can't come out. They cause bad dreams!

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com