[AT] OT: Flashback - Early Farmers Building County Roads

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jan 26 21:54:37 PST 2006

The first image at the site Walt mentions shows an item similar to what
I thought was originally asked about on this thread.  That's only the
second one I remember seeing that had a double tree on it though.  What
I remember seeing in use back in the 40's was narrower, had two handles
(for one man operation) and was set up for a single horse or mule.  My
grandfather used one of the non-patented slip scoops to excavate the
basement under the farmhouse in Colorado in 1905 with a mule.  They were
dangerous because you really needed three hands to operate one.  You
adjusted the tilt with both hands on the handles.  That meant that you
had to buckle the reins together and sling them over one shoulder or
around your neck.  That was OK as long as the harness didn't break.  We
borrowed George Gilleff's slip scoop and one of his Belgians to do some
leveling prior to adding to the barn.  Dad made my brothers and me work
as a team with one on the handles and another on the reins because if
something happened to the hitch or the harness you could end up dead
real quick.

I drive by TSC and see that they have recent incarnations of that tool
for sale that are set up for three-point operation.

The rotary type that Sears used to sell was always a tractor-drawn piece
of equipment and I think its actual name was Tumble Bug.

JM2CW

Larry