[AJD] Safety Alert - check your chains

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 14:46:38 PST 2006

Most of us use lengths of welded chain with grab hooks on each end to secure loads. The grab hooks are often attached to the end of the chain with a pin held in place by a cotter pin. Check the condition of your cotter pins. I was using a chain today and lo and behold, one end came up missing. I found it, realized the problem, and checked the cotter pins on the rest of my chains. I found several where the manufacturer put minimal bend in the cotter pins, and some which were clearly bent/damaged during use. None of us need to deal with chains coming loose.