[AT] OT: Flashback - Early Farmers Building County Roads

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 26 11:45:00 PST 2006

Farmers building roads was a common practice here in Sask. in the thirties
according to stories my Dad used to tell. "Road work" was a way of paying
off your land taxes, or portions thereof. A farmer might supply his own team
of horses to use on the equipment. Now I am trying to remember the name of
the scraper type implement they used to dig the ditches and build up the
grade. Sort of a big scoop shovel shaped thing with two handles and pulled
by a team of horses as I recall. I've heard there was quite an art to making
it work and not getting hurt in the process.
As years passed and machinery got bigger there were municipal "maintainers",
basically a pull type grader on 4 steel wheels. It took a man on the
platform to work the big wheels controlling cutting depth and angle. And I
believe farmers would put their own tractors on the maintainer to grade the
roads in their local area.
I've posted a pic before of one of the later maintainers with a Wisconsin
engine powered hydraulic system that was used here in the 40s and 50s. Being
pulled by a big old crawler tractor, not likely owned by a small farmer.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/