[AJD] JD Powder Coat supplies

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Jan 25 20:35:52 PST 2006

Dean,
 Powder is fun stuff. I spent 12 years in a powder and liquid coating.
We did J.D. Green more than once. The powder we used came from Sherwin
Williams. They color matched it to some pieces the customer (local JD
Dealer who sells restored early JD tractors) had. That powder was
available in 45 pound boxes.
Home coating is easy IF you set up a good area for it. Oven wise you can
use almost any oven as long as it can be controlled very well. We had
gas, electric and combination units. Electric would be my choice because
it causes less dirt/dust to be in the air in the oven. We used some IR
units as well. They worked OK except they were limited in size. You need
to have a unit that can reach 400 degrees or so and stay there for 20-45
minutes depending on the part.
Oh and here is a secret about powder. If you store it in a COLD DRY
place in a sealed container it will keep for YEARS.  So if you needed to
buy 250 pounds (that is a usual batch amount in a drum) you could keep
it for a while if you have a cellar. That way you could do small parts
at home and send them the big stuff.
Oh Harbor Freight does have a small powder oven and powder gun for a
decent price. Watch the auctions for larger ovens, they turn up a lot in
the trade papers and usually go cheap. You could buy a batch oven that
could double as a shed when not needed. Our largest batch oven was 12'
wide, 12'deep and 10' high. We painted more than a few chassis and
personal projects in that one. Plus common black and white were done on
lines daily.

Steve W.