[Farmall] Solvents

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Tue Jan 24 06:47:27 PST 2006

I would expect acetone or MEK to remove the tar easily.  Carb cleaner, as
Mike recommends, would work very well.  Hopefully Jay understands that any
of the 'kits' recommended for fuel tanks are for coating the tank, not
removing a quarter inch of crud.  All the kits I've seen assume that you
already have the tank clean.

At least in California, the radiator shop is no longer a viable option for
cleaning out fuel tanks (or radiators).  Last time I talked to the owner,
the local shop could only use one solvent... clean water.  No lye baths, no
boiling, etc.  He just sprays high pressure water at the crud, and hopes for
the best.  EPA regulations, y'know.

I haven't checked with the local automotive machine shop for several years.
At that time, the owner was still using a heated lye bath, but was not eager
to clean my parts unless I was having machining done.  Hazmat disposal
concerns.  Based on what he told me, and what Spencer Yost recommends, I set
up my own lye bath in a plastic 55 gallon drum.  Works extremely well.  The
front frame of a '36 O-12 is soaking in mine right now..

-Karl