[AT] Speaking of Snow - Way O.T.

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Jan 22 10:57:09 PST 2006

Old Strubridge Village isn't really a Shaker community. It is a
collection of early American buildings assembled to look like a small
New England town. They have people working the bakery, candle maker, tin
work, etc,., dressed in "period" costumes. Very nice, if you like that
kind of thing - somewhat like "Colonial Williamsburg VA", but a little
more casual.

Anyway, unless someone from the area pipes up, the weather for the
coming 7 days is supposed to be relatively mild for this time of year,
so you probably don't have to worry about traveling.

If you are coming I80, jump on to I287 North in Parsippany NJ and run it
up to the NY Thruway north and carry on to the Beacon Bridge, I684,
cross the Hudson River and continue on through CT I84 and pick up the
Mass. Pike to the Sturbridge area. (This may look a little less direct
on the map, but it avoids the horrendous NY City commuter traffic, which
goes on 24 hours a day. I could have the "x84" numbers backwards, but
you can see them on a map.) There are no "mountain passes", although it
is more hilly than Indiana. :-) The problems you encounter with the
weather are more likely to be icing conditions than snow.

Mike

Indiana Robinson wrote:
> 	I find myself needing to make a quick trip to Central MA
> this coming weekend... I am wondering what kind of driving
> conditions are forecast for the weekend in that part of the
> country especially mountain passes. I'll be heading east on
> I-70 from here and across Ohio but I am not familiar with
> routes on up and across. I have not looked carefully at an
> atlas yet but was wondering if anyone had any favorite
> areas that they try to avoid.   :-)
> 	I was also wondering what list members might be close
> along that route. I don't know if we will have any time to
> stop any place or not yet.
> 	The place we are going is near the "Old Sturbridge (sp?)
> Village" Shaker community.
>

> --
> "farmer"
>
> I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
> me at once.   :-)
>

> Francis Robinson
> Central Indiana, USA
> robinson at svs.net

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." -Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790); US politician and scientist.