[AT] Re: January?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Jan 22 02:45:48 PST 2006

Our soils are far too wet to work, but there are (migratory) wild ducks,
a blue heron (also migratory) and active muskrats out in the the flooded
wetlands on my property. Normally in January the ground is frozen down
24", and the kids are playing ice hockey in the wetlands. I even saw a
dandelion blooming on my lawn the other day. Very strange. I chalk it up
to having the spreader hooked up to the Farmall 560 and the blade,
chains, and weather cab all rigged up to the Ford 860, as well as the
truck ready to go with the 8' blade. :-) Unfortunately, my dirt lane is
a horrible series of water filled potholes. :-(

Mike

Dallas and Kathy wrote:
> Hi, Was listening to the news tonight, and down by Onawa Iowa, just
> south of Sioux City, the farmers are in the fields. Showed one fellow
> chisel plowing with a drag behind, and the ground looked like it was
> working up nice. The newscaster went on to say that the ground is not
> frozen and all moisture is soaking into the soil. In 1970 the record
> low was -27. I have plowed in December and I have seen people disc in
> February, but I have never seen anything like this in January.
> list Remembering Our Friend Cecil Monson 11-4-2005

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." -Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790); US politician and scientist.