[AT] Old shop lathe motor-- motor questions for you "experts"

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Jan 21 08:26:03 PST 2006

My dad designed electric motors for GE most of his career.  I asked him
about the big differences in size for the horsepower ratings even in the
"good old days" of over 50 years ago.  He launched off into an
explanation of current flow and hysteresis, DC vs. AC designs, shaded
poles, repulsion, and a bunch of other things that I didn't fully
understand (I wasn't even in high school yet).  But he said that the
basic design of the motor has as much control over the final size as
almost anything else.  A few years later, he used to mumble about having
to use "frog hair" for windings and all the production problems that
caused with regard to the service factors.  Dad would put together
prototype motors and send them out to the test unit.  When they came off
of "test", he would head out to the salvage yard at the plant and buy
his motors at scrap price (by weight).  He brought home some good and
fairly exotic motors for use on the farm.  Among others, he built GE's
first "glued" motor -- a motor that had no bolts and nuts on it, was
epoxied together at assembly and on which there would never be any
servicing or repair done.  One of the last motors he designed for them
in the late 50's was an alarm clock motor that could be manufactured for
12 cents.  The motors are still being produced, but the digital clock
market left the mechanical design in the dust.

I still have Dad's fan motor that he designed for cooling the condenser
coils on refrigerators.  He designed it in 1934, brought it home from
the plant after test, and we used it in the barn during the summer to
circulate air in the milking parlor.  For some reason, the fan was not
in the barn when it burned to the ground in 1950 so it survived.

Larry