[Farmall] Tap / Die Set

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jan 20 03:20:34 PST 2006

Tough question to answer! If all you need to do is chase existing
threads, then you can get by with a cheap (Chinese Harbor Freight) set
with a handful of the standard US thread sizes up to maybe 3/4". But if
you ever need to do anything more, it would probably make sense to buy a
decent set in the $60-70 range. You are not likely to need the kind of
quality that a machinist needs to cut new threads in steel and cast
iron. Just like any other similar effort, there are "tricks" that make
the job go easier and save the tools from breaking, and I am sure that
you can find all kinds of useful guidance with a Google search.
Generally, if the tap or die are having a tough time, you don't just
keep forcing the tool, but back off every couple of turns and then go
forward. Also, lubrication is important - usually light oil for
steel/iron and kerosene for cast iron. Keep the tool clean and tight in
the holder. But I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

Mike

Tony Pitts wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am nearing a phase where I may start to put my F-20 together.
> Before I do, I think I should be chasing the threads and the like.  I
> have never used or owned a tap & die set.  How large a set do I need
> and what should I be looking for?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." -Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790); US politician and scientist.