[Steam-engine] Chlorine Water

Blake blake at little-mountain.com
Thu Jan 19 07:29:43 PST 2006

I don't think the chlorine will hurt anything at all. Where I work
(until the place closes in a week or so) we use 40,000 lbs of city
water an hour in our boilers.

We had considered switching to straight Lake Erie water at a
drastic cost savings since the rest of the plant runs straight
lake water. But, they figured the cost of filtering the water
would be too much to make it feasable.

All the water we use goes through softeners and then deaerators.
We add a sulfite powder to the water in deaerator to scavenge
oxygen, and we add a phosphate directly to the boilers to control
corrosion and coat the steel inside. We also control conductivity
of the boiler water through continuous surface blowdown. Try to
keep the conductivity around 5000 uv.

I asked our Nalco representative about chlorine in city water and
he said there wasn't much concern. Most likely it has less
minerals other contaminants than well water anyway.

When I took my Rumely engine to shows - and you never knew what
their water was like - I'd check the pH of the feed water and add
soda ash (from a swimming pool place) to bring the pH up to about
8. At least the water should not be so corrosive and soda ash is
easily soluble (unlike lime deposits). I never checked the boiler
water itself, but that is probably the best thing to do. If you
have a surface blowdown, that would be the place to check it. It
is hard to do though without some kind of little cooler that will
cool the water coming out - otherwise it will just flash off. You
can figure something out.

Take care,
Blake

On Thu Jan 19 06:42:56 PST 2006, Andy glines