[Steam-engine] Pouring Crank bearings.

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 06:15:50 PST 2006

--- James Mackessy <jmackess at twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Andy!
>      While all of the things you mention are valid
> concerns,  the real
> learning starts when you
> just pour the babbitt. You are right in stating that
> these were simple
> machines, and if you
> take reasonable care in getting the position close,
> things will come out ok.
> Many old engines
> are out there running with things way out of whack
> due to wear, and they
> seem to do fine.
> If it doesn't come out right, melt it out and do it
> again. It's not like
> it's cut in bronze;-). I don't
> know what the original location tolerances were, but
> I bet we'd find it's
> not as close as we thought.
> Best Regards;
> Jim Mackessy

Thanks guys.  I am going to pour the bearings on the
countershaft soon.  I'm pouring this first because
alignment isn't to critical on this design and I will
get practice pouring bearings.  When I look at all of
the varibles involved I get a little nervous about
gettig it right especially when I comes to the valve
gear.  Like you said close is probably good enough.  I
would like to hear how you folks position/fixture a
shaft for pouring.  Do you build fixtures? use wood
blocksand shims? .....  Wayne Metzger in Boonville IN
said that he likes to drill and tap the lower casting
for brass screws.  He threads the screws through the
casting to support the shaft in the proper location.
The screws come up at 45 degree angles to allow
up/down and fore/aft movement.  They leave the brass
screws in place when finished.

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN