[AT] Old shop lathe motor-- motor questions for you "experts"

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Wed Jan 18 18:44:38 PST 2006

Cecil--I think the reason there are two speeds listed is because the old
motor is rated for 50 or 60 cycle current. An induction motor turns slower
when operated on 50 cycles.

H. L.

On 1/18/2006 6:30:08 PM, Cecil Bearden (crbearden at copper.net) wrote: > That motor is single phase, and 2 speed. It has extra windings, that is > why > it is so heavy. You do not want to part with that motor because it will > give you twice as many speeds on your headstock as a single speed one will. > > You can better match your speed when cutting. Really good when youa re > facing a large piece and need to slow down the speed on the outer cut to > keep down chatter. I have a 3 hp one in my Colchester lathe. It burned > out > about 2 weeks after I got the lathe, and it cost over $300 to have it > rewound since it is 2 speed. However, it needs the 2 speed due to the way > > the lathe is set up.... > > If the tag states it will run on 115volt it is NOT a 3 phase unless it is > > an oddball military surplus unit.... 2 get 115 3 phase you have to > transformer down to 115 with a 3 phase transformer. 3 phase is 230/460 > USUALLY.. there are other configurations.... > > Cecil in OKla > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "John Wilkens" <jwilkens at eoni.com>