[AT] Old shop lathe motor-- motor questions for you "experts"

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 16:33:21 PST 2006

The old motors were much larger for two reasons, first the insulation could
not tolerate the temperature today's motors routinely run at, so the motor
frame was made larger to have more surface area for heat dissipation.
Secondly, the insulation on the wires was thicker because it could not
tolerate the voltage without being thicker than today's insulations.  To get
the same magnetic induction (amp-turns) on an old motor took more space
because the wires could not be packed as close together.  I doubt that the
old motors were any better, especially with today's bearings and oils, they
just look like they should be because we all think size matters.  --- what
do you expect from a bunch of FATGs?
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC 170D