[AT] Old shop lathe motor-- motor questions for you "experts"

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Wed Jan 18 13:38:17 PST 2006

John,

I have a 13" South Bend that had a 3 PH motor when I bought it maybe 16
years ago.  It was from a vocational school that closed their program and it
had led a hard life.  I remember well attending the open house when the
school first opened and thinking how lucky the kids were to have access to
such a machine.

I've converted it to single phase (2 HP) and use it regularly, using the
original contactors.

The best answer I can give is that because of the motor's size it's honest
horsepower... as opposed to Sears or vacuum cleaner horsepower.

I've replaced many parts on my lathe, either with factory parts or shop made
ones, and have it in pretty good condition.  What parts did you need from
your parts machine, and what do you have left?

George Willer