[AT] Old shop lathe motor-- motor questions for you "experts"

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Wed Jan 18 12:31:50 PST 2006

I have a neat old motor out of an older 13" South Bend lathe that I bought
for parts.  I'm wondering about the electric motor in it...what's it good
for? ...whay is it so big for the rated 1 HP?  Etc.   The motor must weigh
close to 100 lbs.  The info on the motor tag is:  "General Electric
Reversible Repulsion Induction motor.  224 frame, SCA type.  50/60 cycles,
1450/1760 RPM at full load.   115 Volt (16/12.4 amps)/230 Volt (8/6.2
amps).  Enclosure code F.  1 H.P."     It's a neat motor because it
reverses with the switch off the lathe.  How come it's more than twice as
big as a "modern" 1 HP motor?   Any comments welcome.  I'm just
interested.     John W.

                    In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon