[AT] Good smelling dirt

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 16:20:15 PST 2006

picking up on John's comment.   I passed by a farm near here on Saturday
afternoon.  The big field by the road is sandy loam and was planted in corn
last year.   In the field were two nearly new JD's of about 150 hp or so.
Each had a disc harrow of the fold up variety and about 18 feet or so wide.
They were cutting in the corn stubble.  One going with the rows.  The other
comming behind him across the rows.  Man did that fresh dirt ever smell
good.

In that light soil the dirt almost looked as if they were pulling a mold
board plow after just one pass each way with those big discs.  I'd have
liked the picture better if those big rigs had been Agco orange or Case IH
red but the reality of farming in this area of 21'st century eastern NC is
that almost everything in the field is JD Green.  I think brand loyalty in
any region and at any time has been primarily a function of dealer support
and here the JD dealers own the turf.

Charlie