[AJD] corks

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Jan 13 08:48:54 PST 2006

Bill:

Ok, we are off and running. Way back when I got my first H, which seems like
a 100 years ago now, I had a local shop fabricate a plate with two holes for
the bottom two hex nut/studs on the H and then had them weld a sleeve for a
D ring to hang in. I use that for chaining down on the trailer. I liked it
so much I had another made for the wider bolt hole pattern tractors as well.
I didn't have my welder yet when I was doing this.

However, now for the heavier tractors I have gone to heavy hooks bolted
under the front of the frame and chained toward the middle from the front
and from the rear with a clevis in the front hole of the drawbar. I like the
inward chain method much better and it is almost required when multiple
tractors are hauled at the same time. I think it is much safer too.

A lot of guys use the cultivator quick attach plate on the bottom front two
studs and then drill a hole in the front edge of the slip plate using a
clevis on it. I have a couple of those plates but I don't particularly like
the looks of them on a tractor at a show. When I was on the farm every
tractor had one of these with the hole drilled in them. Really worked good
for backing wagons into tight places. I know as I age I can't see behind me
nearly as well so if I had to do a lot of stuff like that, my cultivator
plates would get mounted quite quickly I think.

I haven't spent a lot of time trying to find new studs for the hex nuts
since I have so many used ones available now but as I recall the threaded
studs that JD used are slightly different than what we can buy today. As I
recall they were threaded on way with a ridge and then threaded the other
way. The threaded portion that goes into the axle housing or pedestal is
shorter than the other end. I'm sure the ridge was there to keep us from
driving the threads in to far into the casting. I haven't purchased
aftermarket studs for a long time but as I recall they have equal amount of
threads at each end and the bulge isn't nearly as pronounced. I do know they
are a bit pricey.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!