[AJD] Powder Coating

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Thu Jan 12 21:29:44 PST 2006

Tom
I also am enamored with powder coating ever since I went to a custom car show years ago and
they had a front coil spring powder coated yellow that was flexing over and over. Then they let
us hit a powder coated plate with a hammer. I was hooked

When I had my 1970 Torino Cobra, I got tired of constantly cleaning and polishing the aluminum
valve covers (I know I know, poor me!) so I removed them and had them powder coated clear. It
dulled the shine somewhat but they never again varied in appearance.

I also had a customer in California who powder coated his entire LA tractor and more recently a
young deputy sherrif locally here had us come to his place to help him assemble his first
tractor, a JD A. Once done and running, he then took it all back apart and powder coated the
entire tractor! Let me tell you, it looked like porcelain.

On a more custom note, a friend of mine stopped by with a motorcycle fuel tank that he had
powder coated flames into. It looked awesome and I can vouch that the chrome powder looked
real. He used an Eastwood set. "Real" powder coating systems are pricey, I do know some people
have converted old pizza ovens or such into ovens to bake the powder in. Interesting indeed.

Another one of our customers retired from the powder coating industry and I believe he told one
of the larger powder manufacturers is based here in Denver, Robin I believe their name was? And
they had JD green on file. It looked correct to me on the one guy's A. The yellows I have seen
can tend to be a bit dark so you have to be careful about that.

If you've noticed, powder coating equipment rarely comes up on Ebay, somehow I was even
subscribed to the Powder Coating Journal or something for a year, no idea how that happened and
way over my head.

Try it, it might be fun if nothing else.
Let us know if you do

Greg

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
303-468-0377 FAX<<--GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!

On Thu Jan 12 23:49 , TSmith1499 at aol.com sent: