[AT] Sandblasting safety

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 04:35:14 PST 2006

Yeah I figured it was a pretty expensive proposition Bruce.  Not something
that many folks would ever see.

I once went to Kitty Hawk, NC to look at a blasting job for Virginia
Electric Power.  When I got to the location it was a sub station about 100
yards from the ocean.  The wind was blowing on shore and you could feel the
salt in the air.  The guy took us into an energized substation to look at a
fin-tubed transformer.  The primaries were about 5 feet above our heads.  He
wanted me to give him a price to blast the fins with walnut shells to white
metal, then apply a 3 coat epoxy, urethane system.  The fins were about 1
1/2" apart.  I told him he was out of his mind and walked out.

I found out later that he was supposedly one of the world experts on metal
corrosion control and a frequent contributor of tech articles for SSPC.  He
was upset at the equipment manufacturer (who was there with him) for not
coating the transformer according to specs and he had used us to make his
point.  It was a 7 hour round trip for me and another guy.  I wasn't happy.

Charlie