[AT] AC D-14,15,17 Power steering workings?

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jan 8 15:19:29 PST 2006

Charlie- that's what I said in a much more round about way.  I initially
Goggled power steering and everything that came up showed vane type valves
that moved proportional to the torque applied on the steering wheel before
the steering worm caught up.  In the case of the AC D series system there is
no way we are torquing a 0.75" enough to twist anything, so it is the
reaction of the worm on the shaft as it applies force to the sector gear
that modulates the spool valve.  The spool must self center with hydraulic
pressure so even hitting a bump and kicking the worm gear must apply
negative feedback to the system.  Clever, these old engineers.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC 170D
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H