[AT] AC D-14,15,17 Power steering workings?

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jan 8 11:16:28 PST 2006

The first D-14 I bought did not have power steering and since I was
expecting to get a front end loader on it someday, I found a used poser
steering setup and set it aside about 6 years ago.  Finally "got-round-tuit"
this year as  the front main seal leak was not healing itself and the whole
front of the tractor has to be removed to do this job.  Rebuilt the assist
cylinder and figured the control valve should get new seals and o-rings too.
Much to my surprise, when it came apart I did not understand how it worked.
It looks a lot more like a standard cylinder control valve then I had
imagined.  As far as I can tell, the only thing that actually changes oil
flow is a linear displacement of the spool.  The steering shaft passes
through the spool, but the spool is trapped  on the steering shaft between
two thrust bearings.  The manual's instructions are to tighten the nut that
sets the thrust bearings preload load to 60 Ft.-Lbs, then back the nut off
two flats and stake.  I think that my question is -- Is this limited motion
say 0.025" to 0.050" all it takes to assist steering?  Is the resulting
reaction of the worm gear against the sector gear enough movement to provide
steering?  Does anyone understand this steering system and have some
experience with it?  I had one friend tell me that this was called a torque
multiplier system and similar to the Char-Lynn add on systems.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC 170D
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H