[AJD] Power Lift Serial Number vs Tractor Serial Number????

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jan 7 20:34:47 PST 2006

Jim:

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of any direct correlation (relationship) between
serial numbers on Power Lifts vs Tractors other than I have made an
assumption that the power lift serial numbers were issued sequentially and
that they were installed on tractors as they came down the production line.
So I also have made an assumption that there is a first and last serial
number and that someplace there may have been recorded what the first and
last per model year were and maybe even by tractor model identification.
Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

In looking through the Unstyled G Production register it appears that the
last Power Lift serial number was recorded on a 1939 G shipped in March of
1993 as serial # G 8385 as PL Ser # 2819. But there were much higher PL ser
#'s shipped on earlier G tractors such as 4406 but in general the highest PL
ser number shipped with unstyled G's was in the low 3000's. Looks like there
Power Lifts got pretty mixed up within about a range of 200 to 300 serial
numbers.

Now relative to the unstyled B production register:   It appears the highest
serial # PL recorded was 40385 but it was shipped much earlier than the end
of production of the unstyled B's. Lowest PL ser # I have found is B138. The
B prefix appears to have been randomly dropped in early 1935.

I'm not aware that an unstyled A production register has been published by
Two Cylinder Magazine. Although I assume, they do have the data to do so.

So what is the bottom line of all this? If for example you have a missing
serial # tag on an unstyled B or G but it has a Power Lift with readable
serial number tag, there is a possibility you might be able to identify what
the tractor serial number might have been. Assuming the PL hasn't been
changed or added after factory shipping. Kind of shaky grounds but better
than nothing I guess.

As far as PL ser # ranges to correlate with tractor serial number ranges, it
appears one may only be able to get within a couple 100 serial #'s or so at
best. Not very helpful.

Hopefully someone on the list can add more clarity to this than what I have
been able to uncover. I would describe the above data as having ones feet
firmly planted in mid air.

I am still very confused as to why the Production Registers published by Two
Cylinder Magazine didn't sell well enough for them to publish more. As I
recall, I paid something like $9.00 to $10.00 each for mine when they had a
sale on them a few years ago. I would buy any additional ones published in a
heartbeat. There is a wealth of knowledge in them with value way past their
purchase cost.  Some things don't compute in this area. Was it a marketing
issue? Or is the production cost so high that there is an unreasonable
breakeven quantity? Got me!

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!