[AJD] Where is the best show

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 20:50:26 PST 2006

Kreig,
I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a show.  The Portland, IN
August show is the largest show in the US - normally has 700-800 tractors, a
couple thousand gas engines, 6-8 steam engines, hundreds of vendors, 150
antique dealers, but not a lot of demonstrations (although with their new
land they are adding these) and limited prairie tractors.

If you like the large prairie tractors, the Prairie Village show at Madison,
SD has a bunch, and a train.  I arrived a week after the show in Crosby,
North Dakota where John Tysse has his prairie tractors, and I was really
impressed!  Stuff I had never seen, and it was just his stuff left.  Also,
the large show at Rollag, MN has lots of prairie tractors, and a steam
train.

The Camp Creek Threshers Show near Lincoln, NE is one of the most active
shows I have seen.  Several threshers going, baling, combining, plowing,
rock crushing, corn shelling with several shellers, sawmill, silo filling,
Baker fan, .....

I've never been to the Mt. Pleasant show, but that has much more steam as
well as tractors and gas engines, not sure about vendors.  I have been to
their large museum and it is impressive.

Duane Larson