[AJD] Light mounting on 39 hand start B

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Jan 5 17:01:52 PST 2006

Chris:

I don't have the part number for the kit to upgrade a 1939 or 1940 hand
start B to Electric Start/Electric Lights. However, I did get the pricing
information for the upgrade from an ATIS JD List member. The part number may
have been included in the price list but I don't have it.  Duane Larsen here
on the list may be able to provide it.

However, I'm not sure that number will help you much as I would fall over
dead if you found a NOS kit anywhere. But stranger things have happened.
I've discussed the upgrade kit with several list members and if my memory
serves the only record we have found that the upgrade kit even existed comes
from the price list reference. I don't think anyone has found any written
literature on it or documents on what was included in the kit. If found or
available I would be all over it like stink on manure.

I have occasionally seen some of the unique Slant Dash B parts show up on
eBay occasionally such as the cast Slanted Dash and starter mounting
bracket. The right Delco number starter showed up on eBay recently and it
went for such a high price I had to back away from it.

I suspect there are a few antique tractor salvage yards in the Midwest or
East that would have a few of the Slant Dash B parts but I hate to think of
what those parts might cost. I think you would then completely understand
why I jumped all over the 1940 Slant Dash B that I found as part of the
group of 5 tractors that you got involved in. If it would have been a hand
start 1940 B, I would have called it a parts tractor. Since it was a
legitimate Slant Dash B, it made all the difference in the world. Although,
I have had some observations that this tractor may be one that was upgraded
rather than built that way from the factory. One of the parts on the tractor
has caused me to wonder a bit. Doesn't really matter any more because I have
found the right replacement part.

Do you want me to check the rim width on my pressed steel wheels? If memory
serves there were several widths offered. As I recall there were 8, 9, 10 &
11" pressed steel rims offered on the styled B's. I would guess that mine
are less than the 11" version but I don't remember what sized tires are
presently on them.

I need to get the tires dismounted anyway so if the spirit moves, I'll know
more fairly soon.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!