[AT] Sandblasting safety

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 05:01:36 PST 2006

No it's not about the lawyers John.  Sand contains silica.  Blasting with it
fractures the sand and releases "free silica" into the air.  It is nasty
stuff, worse than asbestos.   It collects in your lungs, can't get out and
20 years or so later you come down with silicosis.

The best thing to do is use a regular sand blasting hood with air supplied
but by the time you buy a Bullard hood, cape, air conditioner venturi,
carbon filter and the rest of the stuff you'll have a grand tied up.  I know
that's not what you had in mind.

Use at a minimum a half face filter (covers mouth and nose)  Use filter
carterages that are color coded with a purple band and you'll be ok.  They
should also work for most pesticides.   Get some good coveralls to wear,
blow yourself down with compressed air when you are finished.  Keep the
respirator on until you have blown down, swept up and washed down the blast
area.  Make sure no one without a respirator is any where in the area while
you are blasting and don't pick up your kids or let them handle your
clothes.

If you don't do any of the above you'll never know you've hurt yourself for
at least 15 years.  Then you won't be able to breath.

Spray the inside of the shield on your hood with Lemon Pledge.  That might
stop the fogging up from being so bad.  Smells good too.

Charlie