[AT] OT Fires

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Jan 3 04:39:43 PST 2006

With the red cedar problem we have, and the high winds, these cedar embers
can travel 1/4 mile and start another fire.  My sheep have grazed the place
for about 1000 ft around the house and barns to within 1 inch tall.   I have
Wheat fields on North East and West sides.  My house and barns are pretty
protected..  I worry about all the hay I have stacked in the pasture though.
We have a bunch of red cedars across the road, and a field of high grass
about 1/2 mile to the south that adjoins us...  With 60mph gusts, fire
travels pretty fast..   I got one of the Hale pire pumps on the ONAN engines
running yesterday..  I think the one on a 2 cyl wisconsin will run also if I
can get some dist parts..   I have to bore the twin cylinder Briggs engines
though... Couldn't get anyone to talk to me about it yesterday.....  try
again today.  If I had time, I could make a fixture and bore them myself.
Work is getting in my way again....

Cecil in Okla