[AT] OT Fires

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 19:05:02 PST 2006

Common priming method for Hale pumps. They had a lever that you operated to
block the engine exhaust outlet. This forced the exhaust to vent out of a
venturi at the bottom of the muffler. You then opened a small quarter turn valve
that sucked the air from the pump volute through the venturi and primed it. If
everything worked correctly the pump water never got any closer to the engine
than the bottom exhaust outlet on the muffler. The only way to get water into
the engine would be to supply the suction side of the pump with a pressurize
water source and leave the primer valve open....my money is on a flood or
Katrina.

Karl