[AT] OT Fires

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Jan 2 08:17:27 PST 2006

Yeah exhaust priming can be interesting IF you don't close the priming
port. We have 5 of them that are exhaust primed and three new units that
are self priming (Honda powered and aluminum cases make them MUCH
lighter than the cast iron Hales they replaced)
If you really want to see a strange priming system look at many of the
early fire engines, you will find a vacuum primer. It uses direct engine
vacuum to draw the water in. We have one engine that still has this one
it. That primer is NEVER used on an actual call it is strictly a backup
now, the main priming system is a primer pump now. It is VERY easy to
suck water into the engine and shut it down, not what you want at a
working fire....

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York