[AT] was Potato diggers - Slight variation now swap list

Lew Best bee_keeper at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 12:31:09 PST 2006

Hey guys

I won't post this but once (not a spammer) but I have a yahoo list
called homestead_small_farming_exchange.  It was set up for the purpose
of buy sell trade of this type of thing.  I'd love to see it get much
more active than it is!  Please feel free to join & post your "for sale"
items or "heart's desires" there.  I do moderate the first few posts so
it may take a little while for posts to show up.  Home page link is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homestead_small_farming_exchange

Lew

> I am generally on the lookout for various machines, but
the problem
> is:  where I can I find them?  I used to be able to find
some at auctions,
> however the auctions that have the equipment I need have
pretty much run
> their course and auctions now are mostly large farm
auctions.  Our local
> machinery dealers have refused for quite a while to take
any of this small
> type of equipment on trade

<<snip>

> At the present time I am looking for a flail chopper.
For those not
> familiar, they were a machine 5-ft. wide that cut hay
with swinging flails,
> threw it into an auger, which in turn augered it into a
set of knives which
> recut the hay then blew it into a wagon to feed the
cattle on a daily
> basis.  I do not have livestock, but on my limited
acreage such a machine
> would do a good job of cutting up the cornstalks so they
wouldn't pug my
> plow.

<<snip>>

	Son Scott bought a regular Brady stalk chopper (I think it
was called a 4 row) at auction a year or so ago and started
to fix it up but we are switching to all hay and horse
pasture. Right now I don't plan to plant any corn this
year. I think it is missing one half of the PTO shaft and
it needs a smallish (famous last words) repair to one end
of one shaft where a drive pully mounts on it (pulley loose
on shaft). The chopper probably had paint on it at one
time...   ;-)
	Scott just walked in and I asked him if he wanted to sell
it and how much. He shrugged and said $50.
It is this type but not as wide and has less paint (copy
and paste):<<snip>>