[AT] OT - piano

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Tue Feb 7 11:03:16 PST 2006

Hi --

If it's a grand, you need to rent a piano board and strap the piano down
to it on its straight side (take the lid, legs, and lyre off). A spinet,
console, studio, upright (etc.) is just heavily padded and strapped down
nine ways to Sunday.

Pianos are heavy, but not really as heavy as people think. They're just
clumsy as the dickens. I had a full-size Steinway upright (circa 1885)
that weighed in at 500 pounds. I now have a 1987 Schimmel baby grand
(5'1") that weighs 650 pounds.

Measure all doorways before you undertake the moving operation. A
typical upright-style piano is 30 inches deep, keyboard to soundboard.
Getting it through a 32-inch door requires plenty of maneuvering room on
both sides. A grand, strapped down on a piano board, is only about 16
inches wide. It will fit through spaces an upright won't.

Best,
Bob Seith