[AT] Scrap metal

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 28 15:53:04 PST 2006

I hauled some metal floor joists (may have been flat roof trusses) to the scrapyard from a large home remodel a friend was working on.   Anyhow, the quoted price for this not contaminated iron was $123/ton; but the check amount did not figure.  The answer was they use long ton (2240lbs/ton).  Is that common, or did I contribute an extra $11 to this already multi-millionaire?
The last time I remember hauling scrap was near the end of WWII, and that got piled along the Santa Fe tracks in town.   One such scrap drive accumulation was 10' high and 20' wide and at least a block long.