[AT] Another Oliver practical technical question for the list

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Feb 26 21:11:26 PST 2006

Friday, the tractor driver pointed out to me a potentially serious issue on
one of our Oliver 77's (a Super 77 Diesel that has worked long and hard and
is in regular use!) There is a crack that appears to be about 6-7" long in
the left side of the transmission case just forward of the axle connection
and below the disc brake housing. The direction of the crack is mostly
vertical but tending toward the front of the tractor a bit as it goes
upward. The crack is seeping gear oil.
    I need to figure out whether this crack is a structural problem and
needs to be welded,or if it is an annoyance that should be pinned and JB
welded. I assume the crack is from the beating the tractor has taken over
the years and especially from the hay work and heavy sleds when doing some
of the cultivating. The tractor has however done everything from discing to
grading to pulling the mower conditioner that should take closer to 60hp
than the 45 of the Oliver. Oh, one other item that might have a bearing on
this issue - the tractor has the 120" axle and was in the distant past when
it was the primary cultivating tractor on a 500 acre tomato and dry beans
farm used at the wider settings. It is back on 60" now and should stay
there. The wide front is in perfect condition.
    Can anyone on the list help me with this VERY practical and necessary
concern? I really need to be able to rely on this tractor for quite some
time still, after all it only has been working for 51 years!
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California