[Farmall] BASIC implement questions

E. John Puckett ejpuckett at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 26 18:28:13 PST 2006

A disk plow will turn the ground just as as  a molboard plow.  As for as
being easier to use, they do pull easier, but I don't know if anything
else would make them easier to use.  After plowing you will need to go
over  it with a disk Harrow ( in smoe areas just called a disk) to break
the ground up smaller.

kbecker wrote:
> Thank you for clearing things up for me John.
> I recon I was confusing myself more than anything else.
> I think I have most of it straight.
> A disk plow will turn the ground over in much the same way a moldboard (tho
> probably not as deep).
> It should work fine for my small patch even if I had to go over the ground
> multiple times.
> It seems it also should be easier to use for a novice tractor driver such
> as myself.
> Will I be happy with the final results or would I still need a harrow?
>
> It is a large plot and we will probably not be using it all at first we
> have had rather large gardens in the past.
> As large as you would want to get with walk behind equipment. And mama
> wants to plant things that take
> lots of room as in melons, pumpkins etc. so that will take up most of the
> room.
> Yes I the 40 has a 3 point, 1 with and a few w/o so I will probably end up
> with a mix of equipment.
> thanks again
> Kenneth
>

> At 07:53 AM 2/23/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> Ken, a tandem disk is a double disk, one section following another.  I
>> never heard of a plow disk, but a disk plow is for turning ground the
>> way a land (molboard) plow does, except it has one or more large disks
>> that turn to roll the ground over.  an offset disk is one that has a
>> section that runs to the side of the tractor rather than the entire
>> thing being straight behind.  Not sure about a hipper disk, but I assume
>> it is designed for throwing up ridges, such as terraces or raised rows.
>> If you never have gardened before, 4 acres is a huge garden for home
>> use, though a good start for truck patching vegetables to sell. A box
>> blade is a rectangular attachment with an edge and sometimes teeth, that
>> scrapes dirt into a enclosed area.  They are great for leveling, but
>> most cannot be angled for moving dirt/gravel side to side as an standard
>> blade can.
>>
>> Unless your H has been refitted with 3 point hitch, the attachments you
>> can use are limited to pull type though.
>>
>> kbecker wrote:
>>
>>> Spring is right around the corner. I almost have my tractor ready.
>>> Now I need help with equipment.
>>> I am trying to figure out what equipment I need to purchase.
>>> I will be planting a 4 acre seed bed for a garden and about 25 trees and
>>> pasture.
>>> I figure a small plow, a disk and possibly a cultivator, along with a brush
>>> hog type mower.
>>> But the terminology is driving me nuts..
>>> What is the difference between a 'tandem disk, a 'plow disk and an 'offset
>>> disk ?
>>> is a 'plow disk and a 'tandem' the same animal?
>>> how about a "Hipper disc"
>>> what is a box blade used for, as opposed to a rear blade?.
>>> I am still trying to figure all of this out....

> [...]
>>> 1944 Farmall 'H'