[AT] Time passing and how to keep the farm going

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 26 05:10:52 PST 2006

Obviously try to eliminate any thing other than family and work during the
busy season. Although you are talking about an emergency type situation so
there is little that I see you can do besides choose family or work.

Being a very small scale farmer who works a full-time public job, one thing
I do is to try to make sure the equipment is ready to go and serviced weeks
before I need it. That way I only have to deal with breakdowns. And when
there is free time on the farm, make time for families and hobbies. In other
words, juggle your time where it is needed most at the moment, which is
probably what you are doing now.

One other thing. It never hurts to have friends to help in an emergency. I
had a cousin to have a stroke during the beginning of spring planting. While
he was in the hospital, a pair of brothers moved in and did his planting for
him, without being asked.

John Hall