[AT] Am I crazy?

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sat Feb 25 06:38:07 PST 2006

Greg,

The closest thing to edible beans I ever farmed (except in the garden) is
soy beans.   On them, in the old days, we used 2 small flat plow shares that
ran shallow up close to the row.  The sliced through the soil and cut the
little weeds off or dragged them out.
Then larger sweeps in the rear cleaned out the middles.  These beans were
planted on fairly high rows (again this was in the old days) and we didn't
worry much about hilling dirt on them.  By the time the weeds got another
start the beans were big enough to shade them out and the next plowing was
just to run out the middles.   The first plowing coul be done at about 2 to
3 mph.  The 2nd (running out the middles) could be done at 5 or so if your
tractor had a range that would handle that.  Our D-10 didn't.  Third gear
was the only option at about 3 mph.   On  a few occasions I tried running at
near idle in high gear but it was just too much load on the tractor and a
bit too fast.

By the time we got around using herbacides we were all using 2 row equipment
with rolling cultivators or spring tooth/tine cultivators.

Now days soy beans are flat planted in rows or drilled, sprayed and picked.

Charlie