[AT] Cultivating potatoes

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Thu Feb 23 08:57:48 PST 2006

All this discussion about different types of cultivators has reminded me
how fussy we were about cultivating potatoes back home. Hilling potatoes
was certainly one operation, but by no means the only one. Lots of other
work was done throughout the season.

We had a tiny homemade rotary cultivator that fit in the front gangs of
the Farmall A. It had only three spiked wheels that sort of resembled
small versions of these:

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/Imagegal/misc/rotaryhoe.html

It was used to break the crust if you got heavy rains after planting and
before emergence. Ran it right down the middle of the row, obviously
held so as to go rather shallow. Go too deep, and you'd throw the
potatoes right out of the ground.

After emergence, there was a "potato weeder" that started life as a
piece of horse-drawn equipment but eventually moved over to a
three-point hitch mount. Again, you had to be careful using it, but it
would tease out a lot of weeds.

Most actual hilling was done with disk blades mounted in the front
cultivator gangs. But later in the season, just before the vines died
down and made further cultivating impossible, we ran through the fields
one last time with only rear cultivators mounted. These looked like
miniature middlebuster plows -- maybe 10 inches wide -- and would make
the old Farmall boil on a hot day. But they threw a lot of sandy loam
around!

Best,
Bob Seith
1953 Farmall Cub