[AJD] Slow , read that dead list

Terry & Carolyn Welshans welshans2 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 14:57:36 PST 2006

I'm here, reading in Digest mode every day.

I'm anxious to get to Moline in a couple of weeks for the Gathering of the
Green, and to see all of the members here who are going to it as well.

I am doing "spring maintenance" to our model B right now - new oil filter
along with engine and transmission oil changes.

I am also patching up a carb (DLTX-34) that has a few rust pits or cavities
near the throttle plate area that cause the idle speed to be a little high
at times.  If the throttle is closed slowly, it idles at the normal speed.
If the throttle closes too fast, right to the stop instead of the spring, it
idles about 750 rpm.  It looks like the rusted pits are allowing air to get
by the throttle plate.  The damage is in the straight cylindrical area, not
the venturi.  I am going to try to fill it in with JB weld and then sand it
out to the right size.

I have heard that the bore can be machined out to a size that gets rid of
the pits, and a new throttle plate made to fit, and I will have that done if
my patch-up doesn't work.

Regards,

Terry & Carolyn Welshans
Homer Glen, Illinois

"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest. "
Mark Twain (1835-1910)