[AT] Isuzu 4BD1T

Bruce Fallon bfallon at whidbey.com
Mon Feb 13 21:54:45 PST 2006

I have an Isuzu NPR with the 4BD1T diesel motor in it.  When I got it it
smoked on cold startup light blue cold diesel fuel smoke.  Under load not
noticeable, with some throttle and no load just cruising blue fuel smoke not
oil, full throttle no smoke, off throttle no smoke.
Anyway I have since replaced the turbo after bearing failure, replaced
rings, had valves done and new guides and seals, head shaved, injectors
rebuilt.  I did find broken top ring on number 4 cylinder and way too much
end gap on all rings.  Compression was low.  Now after all the work I still
have the smoke problem.  Does anyone know if the timing on the injector pump
is off will this cause the smoke? I am thinking the timing is retarded,
injecting late and not burning completely. It is definitely fuel smoke and
not lube oil. When I contacted the dealer today they told me the Isuzu
manual is not correct in their procedure for setting the timing on these.
They say if I follow the Isuzu manual I may see broken piston skirts. They
want $250.00 to set the timing. Anybody know a good diesel place to take
this to in the Seattle, Everett, or north areas into Burlington Washington?

Bruce Fallon
Freeland WA. 98249
bfallon at whidbey.com