[AT] Have a question for the members who have rebuilt 9N Ford tractors

Lyle Myles lyle45859 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 11 21:45:28 PST 2006

I just have a question for the members who have rebuilt 9N Ford tractors. A
few years ago I rebuilt one from the ground up. I think it was a 1939 but
due know it was in the 30s. After rebuilding the tractor I could not get it
to fire. I replaced every part of the ignition system there was to replace.
Also installed several sets of spark plugs, wires ECT without success. I
finally gave up and took it to a shop close to my home to have them see why
it would not start as they specialized in 9N. They had the tractor three
days and they could not get it to start either. As I was at there shop to
pick up the tractor one of their retired mechanics stopped by to buy some
parts. Their head mechanic was speaking to him about my problem and this
chap went back in the shop and had the tractor running in about thirty
minutes. When he came out of the shop area he told us that on this year
tractor that  there was either a brass or some type of metal strap that ran
from the back side of the distributor to some place on the tractor. This
peace of metal had burnt through and had to be replaced. I was also told
that in the repair manuals that there was nothing listed about this strap
and what it does. Does any member know what this strap is and what it
connects to? I rebuild a lot of old Fords and would like this information if
I run into this problem again.

Thanks
Lyle Myles
McGuffey, Ohio/ N.W. corner of Ohio near Lima, Ohio, United States of
America, North American Continent with my cats sitting under my office
chair.
 . May the Lord be with each and every one this joyous day.

Lyle DeWitt Myles    lyle45859 at earthlink.net