[AT] piano sound

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Thu Feb 9 19:37:10 PST 2006

On Thursday 09 February 2006 04:26, Jim wrote:
> Gentlemen and women of the List,
>
> Firstly, please let me tell you that I really enjoy your stories of long
> ago.
>
> I have had no farming experience, but I have driven my mate's Grey Fergy a
> number of times and had lots of fun.
>
> My point for discussion is this.....
>
> How do the "Old" pianos "sound" compared with today's "New" digital
> electronic ones???
>

> Any comments?

Depends on quality on both parts and what you want to hear.

No electronic can match the sound or touch of a good grand piano.   Of course
no electronic is anywhere near the 6 figures that the good grand will cost
you either.    However, the good modern electronics are very close, better
than any cheap piano.   I'd be surprised if you could buy new piano that
sounds as good as an electronic for the same price.  (I'm assuming that like
most people you cannot afford to drop 6 figures on a whim)

An electronic gets you many other voices, and accompaniments.   These are very
handy to have.

If you are spending less that $2000 there is no question: get an electronic,
they are better (That is to say your real pianos are junk, while you can get
some OK keyboards in that range).    However I strongly recommend you save up
a little more cash (or buy used, but get someone who knows pianos to help),
and get a quality instrument.

If you want a good piano sound, get a piano.    There are things that a good
(Good is important though) piano can do that a keyboard cannot do.

If you want something to turn your piano abilities into a full band, the
keyboard is for you.

If you want something portable, you can get keyboards that run on batteries.
(though you will want a better speaker system than what is included in them)
Beware that the portable keyboard does not look as nice in the living room
though.

I would start with a real piano, and then get a keyboard.

Don't overlook the calliope though.  http://calliopeplans.com/  One would look
perfect behind your tractor in a parade with the kids/grandkids playing it.
(I was wondering how I could work in a tractor reference)