[Farmall] Farmall H transmission leak

Kevin Bish krsky at alltel.net
Wed Feb 8 06:22:36 PST 2006

Chuck, in reply to cleaning the tractor for a paint job. Get a good
degreaser and spray the tractor down in the leaking areas. Leave the
degreaser work on the areas for what ever they recommend for as long as is
recommended in the manufactures directions. Be careful around the radiator
with a high pressure washer, you could blow through the cores in it. Use a
plastic bag over the coil, and distributor area with a couple rubber bands
to keep it in place. getting this area wet could cause starting problems. Do
all repairs on the tractor that need attention, then start the process
preparing the tractor for paint. You may have to clean the tractor again
after making the repairs, grease and dirt may be a factor after repairs are
done. After all repairs are complete, run the tractor to make sure that
nothing is leaking. A surprise leak after the paint job is done can be a
mess. Depending on how fancy you want the paint job to look, there are many
steps in the preparation of the tractor even before the paint is applied.
One thing to remember though is grease, oil, and dirt are a primer and
paints enemy. I used to work in a Chevrolet body shop, and sometimes wanted
to pull my hair out, because the exhaust fan would pull something in while I
was painting, or a fly or moth would do a dance on the fresh paint job on
the last coat of paint. I have painted a few tractors too, and they turned
out very nice. Here is another pointer when the tin work is ready to paint.
Hang the parts like the hood and grille upside down, before spraying them.
It is a little harder to spray them, but the dirt that is floating in the
air will be on the inside of the panels, instead of where everyone can see
it on the outside surface. This is just my opinion, and hopefully there are
some ideas that will help you here. Have fun with your tractor, Kevin.