[AT] OT - using pitchfork

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Feb 7 12:40:39 PST 2006

You said it all, Ron.  That pretty much sums up all the "problems" with
pianos and the attitudes people have toward them.  The idea that "you
have to be 'advanced' before you can play the good instrument" has
probably done more harm than good on people's love of music.  It's
particularly bad when it comes to wind and string instruments.  The
student model lines are so hard to blow or bow and have such lousy tone
that kids don't ever hear themselves making improvement.  They get
discouraged and quit.  With all due respect, I understand parents'
reluctance to invest in top-of-the-line instruments when Johnny or Susie
may or may not have the talent or lasting interest, but if you never
hear what even the simplest of melodies can sound like on a good
instrument, it can get pretty discouraging.

BTW, my "other" pitch forks have two tines and vibrate in the Key of C.

Larry