[AT] (was) using pitchfork (still O T) pi-annies

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Feb 7 07:12:29 PST 2006

	I have a rather plain old upright sitting here that was my
grandmother's. I think she bought it in the 20's or 30's. Maybe
the only big "splurge" of her frugal life. I had to go look just
now to see what brand it was, it says Whitney - Chicago. She was
self taught and never was extra good at it but she got a lot of
years of pleasure from it. An aunt by marriage wanted it badly
but we all knew she just wanted it to sell (she had already sold
4 or 5 that she had acquired here and there) so my father got it
and gave it to me because he knew I would keep it. Sadly some
years ago we had a bad roof leak develop suddenly and it got wet
in one end. We didn't find it right away. Several of the hammers
came apart. Also my grandmother had hired some guy to work on it
back in the 40's and I seem to recall them saying that he
removed something that was operated by one of the pedals. You
can tell that I am a real expert here can't you...   ;-)    I
recall my father saying that she "got took". Still it was her
piano and we keep it. I have hopes of having it restored someday
before I give it to my oldest daughter but that will have to
wait for better times. I'm sure it is going to be very $,$$$. I
won't give it to her until her kids all move out so that gives
me a few years. I know that she will keep it.
	None of us play the piano. My oldest daughter played the
clarinet, the second the cornet/trumpet and the third the
saxophone (one was an alto but I forget the other). Son Scott
played the drums and base guitar. Scott is the only one that
still plays but I believe he dropped the drums. I once played
the cornet/trumpet and I once tried to play the stock market but
I wasn't any good at that either. Diana just plays a buffoon.
;-)

	My frugal grandmother's father owned a water and steam powered
grist mill and saw mill. My grandmothers wedding dress was made
from the white netting that he bought by the bolt to use to
screen the meal and flour when it was ground by the huge stone
burrs. Those were french wheels made in sections like a puzzle
and I still have two of the pieces of one of them. The french
stone was highly prized and it was a lot easier to ship them in
sections that a man could lift.

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   :-)

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net