[AT] OT - using pitchfork

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Feb 7 00:15:25 PST 2006

I would guess that the pin block may have been pretty much shot before
it got the pin tightener treatment.  And, it could be that the pin
tightener was not applied correctly.  You have to have an upright piano
laying on its back and you have to keep the liquid off the coil of wire
on the tuning pins.  Otherwise, it won't work right.

I've got a bunch of shims, too, but I'd prefer to put in oversize tuning
pins before using them.  It's the same amount of work, but I trust them
better.  Which would you rather do to a tractor engine, use shims on rod
bearings? Or turn down the journals and use undersize inserts?

Larry